Govt extends 3rd ‘Bayanihan Bakunahan’ until Feb. 18

By CNN Philippines Staff

Published Feb 11, 2022 9:20:16 AM

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 11)— The ongoing “Bayanihan Bakunahan” or national COVID-19 vaccination days will be extended until Feb. 18, the Department of Health announced on Friday.

The third round of the immunization drive was initially set on Feb. 10 and 11. The initial target was to administer 5 million primary doses and booster shots to adults and children aged 12-17.

The DOH reported over 662,300 doses have been administered so far during the Bayanihan Bakunahan’s third installment. Of this number, more than 442,300 were of the primary series while above 219,900 were booster shots.

DOH Usec. Myrna Cabotaje, who also chairs the National Vaccination Operations Center, said the agency is looking into factors behind the low turnout in certain areas such as the absence of health workers who are still in the process of returning from isolation or quarantine.

Pinapatingnan din natin sa iba’t ibang lugar baka hindi pumunta ‘yung ating mga kailangan magpabakuna sa mga health center. Baka ang mga health center ang ilapit sa mga mamamayan. Tapos may mga iba’t iba pang rason, at ‘yun ang bibigyan nila ng pansin at kanilang tutugunan,” said Cabotaje during the Laging Handa briefing.

[Translation: We also have ordered looking into various areas where the supposed vaccinees didn’t go to their respective health centers. Perhaps the health centers should be brought closer to the people. There are other reasons they will give attention to and address.]

The Labor Department earlier urged private employers to willingly extend paid time off to workers accompanying their children during the vaccination days.

Nearly 60 million Filipinos have completed their COVID-19 vaccination. However, only 8 million have availed of the booster dose.

World Health Organization Acting Country Representative Dr. Rajendra Prasad Yadav lauded the Philippines’ effort to vaccinate around 70% of its eligible population.

However, he said it is worrisome that over 2.5 million senior citizens have not received even a single COVID-19 shot.

“Vaccinating these older people is one of the effective ways in saving lives during this pandemic and avoid overwhelming of health systems,” Yadav told CNN Philippines on Friday.

“So we continue to support the government for that and we encourage and appeal to the governors and mayors to do everything in their power to vaccinate our priority groups, especially their people, and also people with comorbidities,” he added.

SOURCE: https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2022/2/11/Bayanihan-Bakunahan-COVID-19-vaccine-extend.html