Roque: Philippines should consider UK travel ban

Published December 22, 2020 2:39pm
By VIRGIL LOPEZ, GMA News

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque on Tuesday said the Philippines should consider imposing a travel ban on the United Kingdom amid concerns about the new COVID-19 strain that has been spreading in Britain.

Roque said he would take up the matter with the Department of Transportation, the government agency that supervises the country’s airports.

“Sa ngayon naman po basta sumunod sa ating protocol na quarantine bago lumabas ang PCR test tingin ko safe naman po tayo. Pero tama po kayo, panahon na para ikonsidera yang temporary travel ban sa UK,”  he said at a news conference.

“Bagama’t pakinggan din po natin ang sinabi ng WHO [World Health Organization] na hindi naman dapat ikabahala ‘yan dahil ganyan po talaga ang progression ng mga viruses.”

Earlier, Roque said the new strain will be discussed by the policy-making Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF).

A growing number of countries, especially in Europe, are blocking flights from the UK following reports that the new strain could be up to 70% more infectious.

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said Monday that they have not yet monitored the new strain in the Philippines.

She also said there is no need to impose stricter travel restrictions given that the country only allows entry for diplomats, individuals with businesses in the Philippines and Filipino citizens.

The Philippines has so far reported 461,505 COVID-19 cases with 8,957 deaths. — RSJ, GMA News

SOURCE: https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/nation/768984/roque-philippines-should-consider-uk-travel-ban/story/