Robredo seeks transparency, better coordination between gov’t officials on COVID-19 aid distribution
Published Apr 27, 2020 11:28:34 AM
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 27)— Vice President Leni Robredo has called for transparency and smoother coordination between the national and local government units in a bid to fast-track the distribution of the long-awaited COVID-19 cash assistance for crisis-affected citizens.
“Feeling ko kailangan mas maging transparent, saka mas maging maayos ang coordination between the national government and the local government. Sino ba talaga ang makakakuha?” Robredo told CNN Philippines’ The Source on Monday.
[Translation: I feel like we have to be more transparent, and that there should be a better coordination between the national and the local government. Who are the beneficiaries really?]
“Naglabas na tayo ng social amelioration fund, marami pang problema in the sense na nagkakaroon ng problema sa distribution. Sana, in the next few days, maayos ‘yun,” she added.
[Translation: We got the social amelioration fund, but we still have problems in terms of distribution. I hope in the next few days, we will be able to resolve this.]
The government’s social amelioration program currently covers only the “poorest of the poor,” with the low-income households expected to receive ₱5,000 to ₱8,000 worth of monthly assistance.
But according to President Rodrigo Duterte’s fourth special powers report to Congress, only 24 percent of the 17.9 million intended cash aid beneficiaries have received financial assistance from the government.
Robredo meanwhile also backed calls for authorities to publicly release the list of cash aid beneficiaries— so that the LGUs and residents can be on the same page.
“Baka (maybe) it would help everyone that the list be made public. Para alam ng tao kung makakakuha siya o hindi (so that the person would know if he or she would be able to get the aid),” the Vice President added.
Some local government units have likewise commenced their own subsidy programs for residents not covered by the nationwide SAP.
Earlier, Malacañang said beneficiaries in provinces where the enhanced community quarantine has been lifted will no longer receive a second wave of the assistance, as the money will now be given to more families in Metro Manila and other areas which remain under lockdown.
‘Preparation, speedy decision-making key to surviving crisis’
The enhanced community quarantine in the capital region and other high-risk COVID-19 provinces and regions has been extended until May 15— a move Robredo said she had already expected.
The Vice President also backed the decision to put low-risk areas under a “general community quarantine”, saying it is a “good move” to balance the economy and health crisis management.
She stressed that the another extension of the quarantine should give the government more time to further boost the local healthcare system.
“Yung (The) ECQ is not a cure to the virus. It only gives us time to prepare,” Robredo noted.
“Hopefully, this will flatten the curve. Nakita natin sa (we saw from) experiences from other countries, na talagang (that really) preparation is key. Speedy decision-making is key,” she added.
To date, the country has recorded 7,579 cases of the infectious disease, including 501 fatalities and 862 recoveries.

