Physicians group warns of rise in COVID-19 cases with reduced distancing in public transport
Published Sep 14, 2020 10:58:12 AM
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 14)— Easing the physical distancing measures in public transport may only contribute to a rise in COVID-19 cases in the country, a group of physicians warned on Monday.
Dr. Mario Panaligan, president of Philippine College of Physicians, told CNN Philippines that the medical sector is “worried and concerned” about the implementation of the new government directive, saying this can increase the chances of transmitting and acquiring the coronavirus.
“There is really a chance for the number to increase further,” Panaligan said in an interview with The Source. “Just remember that’s still high up to now. We have not yet really controlled the virus. That number can further increase by of course decreasing the distance.”
“Just remember that this infection is droplet-based, and therefore, there is a minimum distance required for us to avoid any form of transmission,” he added.
From the one-meter distance recommended by the World Health Organization, the Transportation Department reduced the distance between commuters inside mass transit to 0.75 meter starting Monday to accommodate more riders.
The distance will then be further reduced to 0.5 meter by Sept. 28, and will decrease to 0.3 meter by Oct. 12.
Panaligan argued that the initial 0.25-meter reduction already spells a huge difference for commuters. He said that due to the nature of the virus, the risk of transmission may further spike because of limited airflow and poor ventilation in some public vehicles.
The move to ease the physical distancing rules in public transport has raised questions from various sectors, including health experts and netizens alike.
Mayors of the National Capital Region— where a bulk of COVID-19 cases had been recorded— also expressed alarm over this, saying they were not consulted before the guidelines were issued.
In line with this, Metro Manila Council Chairman and Parañaque Mayor Edwin Olivarez told CNN Philippines separately that the COVID-19 Inter-Agency Task Force has already vowed to review the latest order.
To date, coronavirus infections in the Philippines have surpassed the 260,000 mark.
SOURCE: https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/9/14/reduced-distancing-public-transport-rise-COVID-cases.html

