Metro Manila —The Department of Health announced 1,453 more coronavirus infections in the country on Wednesday and over a hundred new fatalities.
The new cases raised the nationwide total to 492,700, of which 24,478 or 5% are currently ill patients.
DOH data showed Quezon City reported the highest rise in cases with 95. Cavite came next with 66, followed by the City of Manila with 54, Davao City with 50, and Cebu City with 44.
Meanwhile, the number of deaths due to COVID-19 struck 9,699 with 146 more confirmed. Similar to yesterday’s report, the DOH once again attributed the spike to error in past reports, with 44 of the newly logged fatalities previously tagged as recoveries and were reclassified after final validation. It added that there has also been a delay in reporting.
“Of the deaths today, 36% occurred in December and others were from months before,” the department said. “We continue to work with our disease reporting units for timely reporting of these events and ensure utmost accuracy of our data.”
Recoveries, on the other hand, now stand at 458,523 after 397 more patients were cleared of the infection.
The DOH said the updated case count excludes the latest data from four testing laboratories which failed to submit on time. It added that it removed 11 duplicates from the overall tally, including two recoveries and one death.
In a separate report, the Department of Foreign Affairs said 322 more Filipinos abroad tested positive for COVID-19, with the case tally reaching 13,378.
Daily new cases among overseas Filipinos had stayed below a hundred for three weeks, and this is the highest single-day rise in infections in over a month. The department said the latest spike is due to a surge “in one country in Europe.”
Ninety-seven recoveries were also logged among that sector for a total of 8,585, while deaths remained at 935.
The global case count has hit 91.6 million, with over 1.9 million deaths and nearly 50.7 million recoveries, based on the Johns Hopkins University tracker.