CNN Philippines – Published Jan 20, 2021 6:54:00 PM
Metro Manila — The coronavirus disease has now killed more than 10,000 people in the country, the Department of Health reported on Wednesday.
Since the Philippines confirmed its first COVID-19 case in January last year, a total of 10,042 people have succumbed to the disease after the DOH confirmed 64 more deaths in its latest report.
Of the newly reported fatalities, the DOH said 57 occurred this month, six last December, and one last October. Broken down into regions, 17 were from Cagayan Valley, 12 from Central Visayas, eight from Eastern Visayas, six from the National Capital Region, three each from Soccsksargen and Mimaropa, and the rest were from other regions nationwide.
The DOH also said it reclassified as deaths 14 cases previously tagged as recoveries.
Meanwhile, 1,862 more individuals were infected, raising the country’s case count to 505,939. Recoveries also reached 466,993 after 765 were added to the tally.
These figures bring the number of active cases or currently ill patients nationwide to 28,904, which is 5.7% of the total infected.
The DOH said two testing laboratories failed to submit data on time and were not yet included in the updated tally. It added that seven duplicates were removed from the case count after final validation.
Among Filipinos living abroad, the Department of Foreign Affairs said cases climbed to 13,624 with 19 new infections. Sixty-one more recovered for a total of 8,745, while three new fatalities brought the death toll to 944.
Globally, over 96.2 million people have been infected, based on the Johns Hopkins University tracker. Over two million of this number died, while some 53.1 million were able to recover.