New design for motorcycle pillion riding approved; senators urge safeguards, simpler ID check

Published July 13, 2020, 2:45 PM

The National Task Force (NTF) COVID-19 has approved the backpack style of the protective shield or barrier that should be installed in motorcycles carrying two passengers.

In his Monday press briefing, Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said the NTF approved the design proposed by motorcycle taxi firm Angkas and that this can be used immediately.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, chairman of NTF COVID-19, said the design includes a barrier which shall be worn by the rider like a backpack. It is complete with safety handles where the back rider can hold to maintain his/her balance.

However, the NTF chairman clarified that back riding is still prohibited for ride-hailing businesses, such as Angkas, pending the approval of the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF).

Beginning July 10, the IATF has allowed motorcycle back riding for married couples and live-in partners provided that they will present during checkpoints documents which prove that they are living under one roof.

Senator Christopher Lawrence Go, chairman of the Senate health and demography committee had earlier urged concerned agencies to consult riders and motorcycle safety experts so they could also assist in determining the measures that should be required by the government for backriding, such as the installation of makeshift shields on motorcycle units.

He expressed his support for the Inter-Agency Task Force’s decision to allow backriding on motorcycles specifically for married couples, especially since public transportation is still limited in many areas in the country.

This is the second shield approved by the NTF. The first was the prototype designed by Bohol Governor Arthur Yap. Yap’s design requires the shield to be installed on the motorcycle.

Last week, the government allowed pillion riding but only for husband and wives, common-law couples, and live-in partners. To prove their relationship, husbands and wives will be required to present their marriage contract to authorities while common-law couples and live-in partners should bring IDs that show they are living in the same address.

Meanwhile, Senator Risa Hontiveros on Monday urged the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) to reconsider its plan to require motorcycle backriding couples to install makeshift shields, as doing so would be dangerous to the riders.

“Maaaring delikado ang makeshift shield na requirement ng IATF para sa mga nagba-backride sa motor (IATF’s requirement of a makeshift shield could be dangerous to the rider who will backride),” Hontiveros said in a statement.

 She said the government should instead focus on enforcing proven safety measures against COVID-19, like the wearing of face masks, gloves and helmets.

She also said the government should clarify the contradicting directives regarding the documentary proof that couples need to show at the checkpoint.

“Any ID or authorization from the barangay showing that the riders share the same address should be accepted by law enforcers,” Hontiveros said.

Last week, the government allowed pillion riding but only for husband and wives, common-law couples, and live-in partners. To prove their relationship, husbands and wives will be required to present their marriage contract to authorities while common-law couples and live-in partners should bring IDs that show they are living in the same address.

Motorcycle-riding couples would also have to follow public health standards and road safety standards like the wearing of face masks and helmets and observing the speed limit, Roque said. (With reports from Martin A. Sadongdong, Mario B. Casayuran, and Hannah L. Torregoza)

SOURCE: https://mb.com.ph/2020/07/13/new-design-for-motorcycle-pillion-riding-approved-senators-urge-safeguards-simpler-id-check/