NBI joins probe into sale of COVID-19 shots, vaccine slots

GMA News – Published May 24, 2021 3:45pm

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has joined the probe into the alleged sale of COVID-19 jabs and vaccination slots, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said Monday.

Guevarra said he instructed NBI officer-in-charge Eric Distor last Friday to order its cybercrime division to handle the probe following the request of Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairperson Benhur Abalos.

The MMDA chief and his wife Mandaluyong City Mayor Carmelita “Menchie” Abalos visited the NBI headquarters in Manila on Monday regarding the request. The NBI and MMDA have yet to release a statement about the meeting as of posting time.

“The full extent of the law will be applied here,” Abalos said at the Laging Handa briefing, adding those involved could be held liable for estafa, direct bribery, and violation of the Bayanihan law.

A separate probe is being conducted by the Philippine National Police (PNP), which reported earlier in the day that it had already identified some personalities linked to the scheme.

Last week, PNP chief Police General Guillermo Eleazar tasked the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group to lead the investigation into the alleged illegal sale of vaccines after screenshots of the supposed “under the table” trade went viral on social media.

The messages showed that some individuals were claiming that they could obtain vaccination slots in some local government units for P8,000 to P12,000. Mandaluyong and San Juan were mentioned in the messages.

The mayors of both cities had labeled it as a scam, noting the vaccines are given for free. —KBK, GMA News

SOURCE: https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/nation/788640/nbi-joins-probe-into-sale-of-covid-19-shots-vaccine-slots/story/?utm_source=GMANews&utm_medium=Facebook