Mobile kitchen distributes meals to frontliners, in far-flung areas amid pandemic
Published August 20, 2020 8:18pm
A couple set up a mobile kitchen to serve hot meals to frontliners and residents of far-flung areas amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.
According to Jamie Santos’ report on “24 Oras,” freelance photographer Alex Baluyot and his wife Precious previously organized the initiative during the Yolanda devastation and the Taal eruption.
They called it the “Art Relief Mobile Kitchen,” as artists were the first to respond to their call for donations.
“Nakita namin na medyo mabagal ‘yung response ng government at that time so imbis na nakaharap lang ako sa computer ko at alam mo ‘yun, nagrarant, sabi ko tumulong tayo,” Baluyot said.
The mobile kitchen gained support from their friends and many people donated cash, equipment, and ingredients. They also partnered with farmers from Ifugao, Sagada, and Cordillera.
So far, they have distributed meals in Laguna, Davao, Surigao del Sur, Iligan, Tuguegarao, and Bicol.
The project was tiring and Baluyot admitted that ending the initiative previously crossed his mind. However, friends kept encouraging him to continue helping others.
“‘Yung mga tao na nasa social media instead of just saying at home and doing nothing, they can donate sa Art Relief and they feel fulfilled already,” he said.
Their staff also remain committed to their cause, risking their lives despite the current health crisis.
“Nag-stay pa ako dito kasi I saw the importance and kung gaano kahalaga ‘yung pagtulong pa rin sa kapwa lalo ngayon sa gitna ng pandemya,” said one of the volunteers. —MGP, GMA News

