Gov’t tells public to adopt COVID-19 measures in malls as ‘new way of life’
Posted at May 24 2020 11:39 AM | Updated as of May 24 2020 12:36 PM
MANILA – The government on Sunday said the practices of “new normal” in malls against COVID-19 would be implemented indefinitely and urged the public to adopt it as a “new way of life.”
Lockdown measures in Metro Manila, Laguna, and several parts of Central Luzon were dialed down to a modified enhanced community quarantine last week after 2 months of restrictions shuttered most businesses and led to the first economic contraction in 22 years.
Malls were allowed to reopen essential shops in compliance with government guidelines such as mandatory wearing of face masks and strict implementation of physical distancing, among others. Dining in restaurants and personal care such as spas and salons remain barred.
“Eventually, when we get consumer confidence to go out and probably stay in the malls, the malls are encouraged to continue these protocols. We can’t afford to be lax probably until next year. In the next 2 years, ito pa rin ang kailangan na practice natin (we will still need to practice this),” Trade Undersecretary and spokesperson Ruth Castelo said in a virtual media forum.
“Sinasabi nga po natin, i-adopt na ito as a new way of life. Yung dati nating ginagawa, di na tayo pwede maging ganun ulit dahil yung risk ng virus di natin alam, any time dumadating,” she said in a separate interview with ABS-CBN’s Teleradyo.
(We tell them to adopt this as a new way of life. We can’t do anymore the things we did before because the risk of virus is there any time.)
SM Supermalls said it would constantly communicate with the public and invest in new technology to keep shoppers safe, while NCCC Malls said it would purchase disinfection chambers for its shopping centers.
“It’s a community effort to really follow the guidelines from the people of Davao and even in Palawan. We are happy that our shoppers are proactive in giving feedbacks on their experiences in the mall so we can adjust,” NCCC Group of Companies president and CEO Lafayette Lim said.
“What we need now is constructive feedback because all of us, mall operators and customers included, are learning new protocols. Help us, tell us how we can get there together,” said Gino Borromeo, vice president of strategy development at SM Supermalls.
Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire urged the public to comply with government and malls’ measures against the virus.
“The government is providing and enforcing the guidelines. Mall owners are complying with the protocols. What is left for all of us is to recognize that… All individuals have their own responsibility para sa pandemiya pong ito (in this pandemic),” she said.
“Hindi pa ho tapos ang ating laban, the war is still here. Wala pa ho tayong bakuna so we have to remain vigilant.”
(The fight is not over yet, the war is still here. We don’t have a vaccine yet so we have to remain vigilant.)
As of Saturday, the Philippines has recorded 13,777 cases of COVID-19, with 3,177 recoveries and 863 deaths.

