DOH warns vs. buying, selling of blood plasma
Published Jul 11, 2020 1:41:22 PM
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, July 11) — There are diseases that can be transmitted through infected blood, Health Spokesperson Maria Rosario Vergeire warned Saturday amid reports that the convalescent plasma of COVID-19 survivors are now being sold.
The plasma of those who have recovered from the coronavirus disease is believed to contain antibodies that can help others fight the infection. However, Vergeire said donors should be screened properly in qualified blood centers.
“May mga sakit na maaaring maisalin galing diyan sa mga dugo na binebenta natin. Ito po ‘yung mga transmissible infections through the blood. This is very risky,” Vergeire said during an online media briefing.
[Translation: There are diseases that can be transmitted through blood that are being sold. These are the transmissible infections through the blood. This is very risky.]
“Kaya nga ayaw natin na pinagbebenta o ayaw nating pinababayaran ang dugo. Gusto natin na inii-screen muna natin ang mga pasyente bago sila makapagbigay ng dugo para maiwasan yung mga ganitong risks,” she added.
[Translation: That’s why we don’t want blood to be sold or bought. We want patients to be screened first before they can give blood to avoid these risks.]
Vergeire called on COVID-19 survivors to refrain from selling their plasma and donate it instead, and appealed to the public not to patronize commercial blood.
READ: More hospitals launch convalescent plasma programs for COVID-19 patients
Earlier this week, the DOH-Central Visayas ordered hospitals in the region not to process the convalescent plasma being sold by unauthorized individuals.
Reports from social media showed that plasma is being sold at ₱80,000 per bag at coronavirus-hit Barangay Luz in Cebu City. The city’s health department has reported that hundreds of patients from the barangay have recovered from COVID-19.
“Ang dugo should be voluntary and should not be sold. In these times (of the pandemic), if we allow that and we purchase blood and use them for our patients, what will happen to those who are in need and cannot afford?” said Dr. Mary Jean Loreche, DOH-7 spokesperson.
Cebu City-based stringer Dale Israel contributed to this report.
SOURCE: https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/7/11/doh-warning-commercial-blood-COVID-19.html

