DOH says dengue cases continue to decline

Published Jun 15, 2020 8:04:53 PM

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 15) — The Department of Health said dengue cases in the country have declined by 46% compared to the same period last year.

DOH Spokesperson Maria Rosario Vergeire said at a Monday briefing that the decline can be attributed to the public’s increased awareness brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Ayon sa surveillance report ng ating Epidemiology Bureau, ang kabuuang kaso ng dengue ngayong taon ay 46% lower than the same time last year. Ito ay posibleng epekto ng ating increased awareness na dala ng pandemic situation,” she explained.

[Translation: Based on the Epidemiology Bureau’s surveillance report, the total number of dengue cases this year is 46% lower than the same time last year. This is possibly due to the increased awareness brought about by the pandemic situation.]

Vergeire reminded the public that in order to continuously lower the number of cases, like in the case of COVID-19, it is important to observe preventive protocols.

DOH Disease Prevention and Control Bureau Director Dr. Napoleon Arevalo also reiterated the importance of the so-called ‘4S’ to fight dengue: self-protection, search and destroy mosquito breeding places, seek early consultation, and support fogging when needed.

June 15 is being celebrated as the ASEAN Dengue Day since most cases of the disease are reported in the region during this time and to remind the public of the dangers brought by the disease.

In August 2019, the health department declared a national dengue epidemic as cases reached 146,062 from January to July last year, which was 98% higher year-on-year, with the death toll at 622.

Most of the cases were recorded in the Western Visayas which exceeded 23,000, followed by CALABARZON with more than 16,000 cases.

Total cases last year breached 400,000, while deaths passed the 1,700 mark.

In January 2020, the department declared the epidemic “over,” due in part to how hospitals handled the mosquito-borne viral infection.

With this, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said the controversial dengue vaccine Dengvaxia will be “set aside” since the manufacturer failed to comply with the requirements needed for it to be used again.

The controversy surrounding the vaccine is said to have caused the lower rate of immunization in the country as parents refused to get their children vaccinated.

SOURCE: https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/6/15/dengue-cases-decline.html