China to provide PH additional ₱800-M grant for Odette rehabilitation efforts
Published Jan 17, 2022 5:54:31 PM

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 17) — China has announced a 100 million RMB yuan (about ₱800 million) grant to aid the Philippines’ reconstruction efforts in areas hit by Typhoon Odette (international name: Rai), its envoy said.
Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Huang Xilian made the confirmation on social media on Monday, citing State Councilor and Foreign Minister of China H.E. Wang Yi’s announcement.
“He stressed that China and the Philippines are neighbors facing each other across the sea and partners through thick and thin. When the Philippines was hit by Typhoon Odette, President Xi Jinping promptly expressed his sympathies and support, and the Chinese government was among the first to provide emergency assistance,” said Huang.
Beijing earlier pledged a ₱50-million emergency cash assistance supporting relief operations in areas hit by the destructive typhoon.
“The Filipino people are strong and resilient. We believe that under the leadership of President Duterte and the Philippine government, people of the affected areas will rebuild their home at an early day. We hope the new grant will help boost the recovery,” said Huang.
Odette left billions of pesos in damages to infrastructure and agriculture after making seven destructive landfalls in the Philippines last month.

