Cash aid distribution extended until May 10

Published May 7, 2020 12:02:00 PM

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 7) — The Department of Interior and Local Government has extended the deadline for the distribution of the first tranche of its social amelioration program to Sunday, May 10.

The rollout of the program was extended by three more days nationwide, as most local government units failed to meet Thursday’s deadline.

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año acknowledged difficulties encountered by localities with high population density. These include Metro Manila, Cavite, Rizal, Laguna, Bulacan, Cebu and Davao City.

“We have received reports from our field offices na kahit na 24/7 ang pamimigay ng ayuda ay mahihirapan talagang mameet ng LGUs ang May 7 deadline lalo na ‘yung mga nasa Metro Manila,” Año said in a statement. “We are therefore giving them until May 10 para makumpleto lahat ‘yan.”

[Translation: We have received reports from our field offices that despite the 24/7 distribution, LGUs could not meet the May 7 deadline especially those in Metro Manila. We are therefore giving them until May 10 to complete this.]

Año said the League of Cities of the Philippines, the League of Municipalities of the Philippines, and the Metro Manila Development Authority requested the extension of the deadline.

This is the second extension of the SAP distribution, as the national government initially targeted April 30 for the completion of the program.

Metro Manila mayors previously requested for an extension of the deadline, citing problems in validating beneficiaries and house-to-house distribution in areas with high COVID-19 cases.

“Nasa pangalawang round na ng distribusyon ng SAP (We are now in the second round of SAP distribution). LGUs by now have learned the ropes of the efficient distribution mechanisms in communities,” he said, noting that such loopholes must be addressed to ensure that cash aid is being received in full amount.

At least 985 LGUs have already completed their distribution to date, with majority coming from Western Visayas and Bicol Region. The Department of Social Welfare and Development will validate with LGUs to ensure that subsidies were given to appropriate recipients.

Social Welfare Secretary Rolando Bautista said in a briefing that 13.5 million low-income families or 75 percent of the 18 million households targeted by the program have received aid.

Meanwhile, Interior Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said the distribution could reach 80 percent within the day. He also expressed confidence that the remaining 20 percent of beneficiaries will receive their aid in the next three days.

“We expect na ito po ay aabot ng 80 percent or more ngayong gabi before the end of this day…Kumpiyansa po kami sa DILG na matatapos po ng lahat ng government units ‘yung kanilang pamimigay before the end of the three-day period,” he told CNN Philippines’ Balitaan.

[Translation: We expect that the distribution will reach 80 percent by tonight, before the end of this day. We at the DILG are confident that all local government units will complete their rollout before the end of the three-day period.]

Under the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act, the national government has allotted ₱200-billion-worth of aid for those most affected by COVID-19. Subsidy ranges from ₱5,000 to ₱8,000 per household per tranche, depending on the minimum wage level in a region. The first tranche was originally scheduled in April and the second one in May.

SOURCE: https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/5/7/SAP-distribution-extended-May-10.html