Año: Localized ECQ after May 15 possible

May 5, 2020

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said on Monday that a localized version of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) was an option after May 15.

The ECQ has been extended to May 15 in Metro Manila and other areas, where the number of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases were still high.

Año said only particular cities, municipalities or villages could be placed under localized ECQ.

“Pwede rin kasi sa pagdating ng May 16 pupunta na tayo sa localized ECQ na pwedeng hindi na buong probinsya — na pupunta na tayo sa mga barangay, munisipalidad [o] component city [at] ‘yun na ang ma lockdown natin (On May 16, we could implement localized ECQ, not focused on the whole province, but we will declare a lockdown on a barangay, municipality or component city],” Año said in a briefing.

Such a lockdown could be implemented in places where there are still cases of community transmission, like Quezon City and Rizal province

The goal of the ECQ is to reduce the death rate and doubling of cases in the specific areas, Año said.

After April 30, some areas were placed under the general community quarantine (GCQ) with relaxed restrictions.

LtGen. Guillermo Eleazar said the transition to GCQ was smooth. The biggest challenge is implementing the guidelines since many people would be considered as APOR — Authorized Persons Outside Residence.

More members of the Highway Patrol Group and Special Action Force of the Philippine National Police will be deployed in the random checkpoints and areas of convergence in GCQ areas, Eleazar said.

He also reported that the average number of quarantine violators had been reduced by more than half.

From 3,800 violators from March 17 to April 23, the number was down to 1,574 from April 24 to May 3, Eleazar said.

He attributed the decrease to the intensified enforcement in the quarantine control points in ECQ areas.

Año said the local government units would be distributing the Social Amelioration Program (SAP) to the families until May 7 for the first tranche.

Families who did not receive the cash aid will be prioritized in the second tranche.

“Talagang bibigyan natin lahat pati ‘yung hindi nakasama (We will give the aid to all even those who were not included in the first tranche),” Año said.

SOURCE: https://www.manilatimes.net/2020/05/05/news/top-stories/ano-localized-ecq-after-may-15-possible/722700/